The Wakefield Historical Commission was established by an act of the Town Meeting, and is a 5-member board appointed by the Wakefield Board of Selectmen
The Commission’s responsibility is to work to preserve, protect and develop Wakefield’s historical and architectural heritage in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 40, Section 8D:
- The commission may conduct research for places of historic and archaeological value, cooperating with the state.
- It coordinates the activities of unofficial bodies organized for similar purposes and may, subject to appropriation and approval by the Town Manager, advertise, prepare, print, and distribute books, maps, charts, plans, and pamphlets which it deems necessary for its work.
- The Commission may hold hearings, and may propose contracts for execution with individuals, organizations, and institutions for services furthering the objectives of their programs, such as historical preservation covenants.
- The Commission may recommend that the Town acquire property of significant historical value by gift, purchase, grant, bequest, devise, lease or other fee.
- The Historical Commission surveys and compiles a listing of all historical sites and buildings within the Town, public and private, determines the functions and structures of all historical organizations within the Town, and can hold seminars with other historical organizations.
- The Commission may accept gifts, contributions and bequests of funds from individuals, foundations and from federal, state or other governmental bodies for the purpose of furthering the commission’s program; may make and sign any agreements and may do and perform any and all acts which may be necessary or desirable to carry out the purposes of this section.
- It further determines the requirements for repair, reconstruction, and protection of historical landmarks, and assists and cooperates with public commissions the conduct of public historical events. It also administers and enforces provisions of “The Demolition Delay By-Law.”
THE COMMISSION MEETS MONTHLY.
Send us an email if you have questions or concerns: email@example.com